Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dawn

Being a stay at home dad makes it difficult to get any alone time in the morning. I try to be as quiet as possible as I wake up and get the breakfast cooking. I have to be as quiet as a church mouse because I believe that if I make a single sound the kids will hear it and come running. I believe this because it has been the matter of fact for the last two years.

You must understand that for me cooking breakfast is the brief moment of time everyday in which I have the house to myself. It's not that I'm alone per say but my wife is in the bathroom getting ready with her morning routine and I am in the kitchen doing my routine. And the kids are asleep.  It's the one time that I am not doing laundry or bathing the kids or doing any of the other million things that need to happen in the house. Just cooking breakfast.

Once a noise is made be it the sizzle of sausage or the coffee maker going off the sounds travel to the sleeping triplets ears as a clarion call to the children as succinct as any alarm clock known to man. Once the children rise from their slumber they stagger to the kitchen all bleary eyed and ask the same question. "What are you making for breakfast?"

No comments:

Post a Comment