Thursday, October 17, 2013

Arts and crafts.

My children have two whole cabinets filled with all sorts of arts and craft supplies. I assume it looks very close to what you'd expect. All manner of bits and bobbles, glue sticks and construction paper. Reams and reams of paper and crayons, coloring books and stencils. They also have markers and scissors, and pencil sharpeners.
 The point I am trying to make is that they well possess the ability to make a mess. And make messes they do. I personally can't tell you how many trees my daughter has destroyed in her artistic pursuits. Don't get me wrong I love that they want to draw and write and be artsy, but if that only came with the equal desire to clean up after they were done. Also in this house we don't do the cheerios or macaroni art. The kids have brought home a couple of examples of this toddler folk art only to have it eaten by the dogs. Once the dogs eat the art the kids get upset and the dogs get GI issues, no to that.
  I love that my kids like to do the whole arts and crafts thing. I like it when they bring pictures to me and say I made this for you. It's nice, that they are thinking of me, however many times I don't believe that they are thinking of me as much as using me as an excuse to concoct what every artistic construction and the mess left in it's wake that they desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment