Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Report cards the first of many.

So yesterday my kiddos brought home their first report cards. Now I don't really understand the whole Pre-k grading system. It seems to be a series of checks, dashes, and smiley faces. Now where I am sure that works to convey meaning to the children I would like a more detailed report of their individual progress as well as maybe a syllabus.
  As best as I have been able to decipher from the report card hieroglyphics is that my children are doing great and that the teacher likes having them in her class. Sadly this does not really address their progress to my satisfaction, maybe I'm spoiled from being home with them for the past four years?
 They have these markers of things that are expected like do they know their name, or can they go to the bathroom alone, can they dress themselves, or any other series of things that I have expected from my children for at least the past year.
 Did you know that by the end of the year it's expected that any child in the class by the fourth six weeks grading period should be able to count to 30? Not to brag but all of my children we're able to do that before school even started.
 I enrolled my children in this school because it was one of the highest rated elementary schools in the area. And I am disappointed in the curriculum, as it is I don't believe that my children will be challenged yet. On the up side they should have no problem being in advanced classes and moving up the ranks easily. I am not judging or do I dislike the school or teacher I just believe that it seems nerfed in some ways and crazy strict in other directions. When did the focus become corporate sponsored testing and less common sense. I can understand the large home school movement to a much better degree now. I feel for the teachers in this situation, what with over loaded classrooms and enough bureaucracy to make the Devil blush. People all talk about taking our country back, and if they are serious we should start with education. Build you house on the rock.

1 comment:

  1. Ever think about Montessori? Our education system is a joke! No Child Left Behind is now the Common Core but the fundamental problems with education funding and standardized testing still remain. Aye!

    ReplyDelete