Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Santa problem.

When  I was younger I believed in Santa Claus and all the magic that is Christmas. Then when I became a little older I stopped believing in Santa Claus though I still love and believed in the magic of Christmas. Now that I am an adult in theory if not practice and have children of my own I have become Santa Claus.
  My children love the whole of Christmas, the presents, the family you only see once a year, the disrupted schedule, and the sweets oh yes the sweets. The problem is that Santa has a unlimited bank roll where as us parents are broke broke broke. I am sure that you can relate.
 Since my children are still learning the basics of writing my wife had this brilliant idea of going through the Christmas catalogues and having the kids cut out the pictures of the presents they would like Santa Claus to bring them. I think it's a good idea if not a little intimidating when staring down the barrel of three sets of Santa presents.
 I love the kids and would like to give them everything that their little hearts desire, that said they don't really have a full understanding of finances. They don't understand the cost of eating and air conditioning or clean clothes and dishes. I shouldn't expect them to and because of that I would hate to ever have Santa Claus disappoint them. Thankfully I am not entirely sure they have reached the age of utter disappointment when Santa fails to deliver. Although that age is coming and if there is a question in all of this, it would be, At what age do kids start to figure out the Santa equation?

3 comments:

  1. My daughter is nine, and she still "believes" although she asks some pretty sticky questions which make me think she's sorting it out inside her head. My reply to her when she starts doubting, is what my mom used on me. "He stops bringing presents when you stop believing." I still get santa presents from my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My niece is one week older than my step son. They are both 12. She figured it out a full year before he did. He figured it out last January. She has an older sister. He is an only child.

    My guess for your trips would be 11.

    Also, I just found your blog. Love you and the wife! Y'all are rocking this parenting thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son is now 13, and although an "only child" his step-siblings were already grown and out of the house when we came into each others lives. He started questioning "Santa" around 2nd or 3rd grade. Such a sad reality when it happens to your babies.

    ReplyDelete