Friday, October 18, 2013

Sedition

I am not sure when or where the children got the idea that they could refuse my orders but I tell you that this daddy dictator is not pleased. It has been a gradual process to be sure, but I can track the onslaught of traitorous behavior to public school. My kids used to jump to when asked to do a chore. When the wife or I would ask them to clean the play room they would start and get the job done with little or no supervision. Now, by Thor. now they don't get moving till you have asked at least by the third time. I just don't understand it. If this progresses they may not make it to being a teenager. For I will have snapped long before then.
  I have tried to ask nicely with pleases. Then I go ask a little more sternly. Then I go in and no longer ask. Then I have to go yell and threaten and start taking away privileges. Then I have to go in there and supervise and stand over them and make them do it. I know that it's making me crazy because I get to this point where I can't even make a coherent sentence to direct the children during these times. I become reduced to this feral state of monosyllabic yells. "Clean" "Now" "NOW!" "CLEAN!" I get all red in the face and I can only assume my children do this because it amuses them to see me get so frustrated.
  I had thought in my naïve way that if we maintained good cleaning habits that the children would maintain those habits since that is what we have always done. I was wrong. I am stubborn and so is my wife and my children are like wise bull headed and when you have that many independently minded people in one house, all the cajoling in world doesn't seem to work and I sadly find my self reduced to yelling and threats. And lord help me when the children realize that with numbers come strength. As it is the three of them can swarm me and pull me down now during play, what happens when they want to hurt me?

No comments:

Post a Comment