Monday, January 13, 2014

Lies and how they start.

The truth is my kids don't lie as much as they omit or feign ignorance of a given situation.
Not real sure when the lying starts but I do know the telling signs. I hope to keep my children honest with the family, meaning us as parents and each other as siblings. I know this is not a reasonable expectation of most adults, much less children, but I would like to attempt it.

Lies are such a complex thing. You have lies of omission, lies of misdirection, lies of false blame, lies of personal advancement, white lies, and exaggerations. It's easy to understand how a child could get confused when they see their parent lie to people about the little stuff or leaving out important details but yet expect total honesty from them within all dealings personally.

I have attempted to make a world for my children in this protected bubble of "childhood" but the reality is they live in a world governed and ruled by adults who in many cases care not about the deluding  of children. And we, as the type of parents we are, feed lies to our children about Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny for example.

I wish to raise my children to understand lies and learn to recognize lies and know that anyone at anytime may be lying regardless of appearance or uniform. What I want to teach them is the way to understand the reason for lying and as useful of a tool it is to provide the grease for social exchange to also see the irreparable damage to trust and more that they are capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment