Thursday, January 30, 2014

Not sure what to make of yesterday.

I went to pick up my kids yesterday from school and was asked by the teacher if I could hang around to talk about an incident between Bobby and another child that we will call J. After the other children were collected by their parents the teacher came out to talk to me.

A quick background, there is a new student that came in to the class after Christmas. And he and Bobby have been having communication issues since day one. I have heard Bobby complain about him quite alot. I believe the problem is that both children speak each other's language equally as well. That and Bobby tends to like being and enforcer of the rules. So when you have a constant conflict plus communication barrier managed by a teacher in a overloaded classroom, well trouble is going to happen.

So yesterday I learned that they do the Pledge of Allegiance in class. I did not know and it does not bother me that this do this but on the same hand I am not overly concerned that they should recite it either. Essentially I love our country but not a big fan of governmental indoctrination programs so I feel conflicted.

So yesterday during the Pledge of Allegiance J refused to get up to recite the pledge and Bobby decided to be the enforcer by kicking J in the shoe many times until the teacher saw it and for the second time ever so far one of my kids got in troubled. When I asked Bobby he said and I quote "He needed to stand up and speak words at the flag!" I was so torn between pride concern and laughter I didn't really know what the teacher wanted from me at that point. If you ever watched the TV show Family Ties I gotta tell you I'm worried I have a Alex Keaton on my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment