Friday, September 6, 2013

Baby proofing is a lie.

Before the kids were born I was set into the panic that all new parents feel about security of the baby or babies in my case. How can you possibly keep them safe in my home much less the world? It all started with long talks and thinking about the subject. If you don't know me I am a plodder and planner. I will think about something for days before I make a decision and when it came to baby proofing I thought about it and talked to every parent I could. I like to gather as much information and opinions as possible so I can get to the truth of a matter. And the simple truth is this. The best baby proofing in the world is a involved parent. Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things that you can do to make your life easier but baby proofing is no substitute for being aware and present. Truth be told the only thing that we did was move things out of reach, provide areas in which the kids could play and baby gates. I never put locks on drawers or cabinets. Although the room we prepared for the kids "the play room" was lined with those soft interlocking squares due to the fact the majority of our house has hard floors. I never had to lock down a toilet. Out of all the safety issues with the triplets gravity has been the harshest instructor. Not eating cleaning supplies, Not swallowing dangerous items, and not getting into things that they are not supposed to. The children have a very clear set of boundaries that they respect because we respect their boundaries. I feel that a lot of people view their children as something they possess. Look how I dress them, look how well they do in school, look how blah blah blah. I personally believe that they are individual people with all the rights that we are supposed to give the individual. I am responsible for them but that does not mean I make their decisions for them. All I can do is either allow their decision or not and then we deal with the consequences. I have seen so many parents get so frustrated trying to control their children and from what I have seen that makes no one happy. I love my children but I also expect them to listen to me and in order for them to listen to me I have to listen to them. Respect is a two way street. So far it's been working and we have had little or no problems. I am tired all the time from constant vigilance but as they age it only gets easier physically to protect them in the home.

No comments:

Post a Comment