Friday, September 27, 2013

Creepy kiddos.

I work in the haunted house industry and have a passion for the macabre and scary. I always have been drawn to this stuff and recently found a door into the industry and I jumped in both feet. I bring this up in the triplets blog because I have received concerns about the kids and the influences that this profession can have on them. First My daughter wanted to play with a prop of mine and wanted to pose for photos because she saw me dressing up and taking photos for promotional materials so being the loving father that I am I let her pose with a rubber hatchet in several poses. I was just trying to make her happy and we had fun. After I took the photos one of them came out really great. I mean Stephen King book cover great. Her long hair was dangled over her face so that you couldn't even recognize her. All you could see  was a slight smile and one blue eye looking out through the hair over the blade of a rubber axe.
 As the marketing director I colored the picture handed it to my photoshop guy an turned it into a promo shot, and it looked good. I posted it and there it stood on line for a full two weeks and not a word from any friends or family members. However it was in it's brief time one of our biggest photos with several hundred views within the first week. My daughter was not identified in anyway. She just some kid that happened to look creepy.
 Well at some point the family found out and it created a scandal. Now I am not angry as much as confused by the outrage. I don't believe that I put my daughter at risk in anyway. Have you seen T.V. these days? What type of message is allowed e.g. Miley Cyrus twerking at the MTV video awards and this is the role model for young girls all over the country. But god forbid my daughter hold a rubber axe. I think this is indicative of a much larger problem. I talk to my children about everything , movies, TV, food, the homeless on the streets. They listen to the political talks my wife and I have. And they, when applicable, chime in or ask questions. Why is it that our children are allowed to see people shot and murdered in cartoons and greed is venerated, as evident by or government, And Disney stars become hyper-sexualized drug addicts. But Horror, God forbid, that's where we draw the line.
 The thing is, I strongly believe that I can't shelter my children from the world and would only make myself miserable doing so. So I intend to talk to my children and introduce them to as much as possible and teach them to make informed decisions. I also believe that I can't make my children learn anything I can only help them understand what they learn on their own. My job as a parent is to provide the environment and the resources to learn as much as they want or can and hopefully together we can figure out the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment