Tuesday, September 24, 2013

T.V. my childrens preferred method of parent torture.

I have seen copious amounts of children's television. And I generally hate all of it. I am serious about my dislike. I tried to watch the shows with the kids, I tried to care. I am inured to the voice of Dora, I can tune out SpongeBob, I can name the My little ponies friendship is magic ponies. I am well versed in paw patrol, Team Umizoomi, Hero Squad, Yo Gabba Gabba, and pound puppies. I have spent so much time watching this stuff that to make it bearable I try to apply Jungian archetypes to the characters.
  I've started trying to introduce the cartoons from my childhood just to get some respite. I have tried PlasticMan, The Real Ghostbusters, Dungeons and Dragons, old Loony Toons, Tom and Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, all to no avail. The main bane to my life is the dreaded SpongeBob, we have one of those drop down DVD players in the car so of course anytime we're driving to SpongeBob for miles.
 Thankfully when it comes to movies my kids are a lot more open to experience. Oddly enough they love Ghostbusters and slapstick comedies. They have seen the Disney catalogue of course. But their favorite is the classic action movie. Don't get me wrong they all have their favorite type of film but it seems that when it's something that the Wife and I particularly dislike that will be their favorite to the point of nausea.

No comments:

Post a Comment