Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Words, they're all we have to go on.

I am a classic bibliophile as well as my wife. Almost to a hording degree. Every room in our house has books. Because of this our children from the beginning have taken to books like a fish to water. They all have bookshelves in the their rooms. They all have their own books that normally stay in their beds with them. And every night we read to them. At the start of pre-k this yea we started the Wind and The Willows. My wife or I read a chapter each night before bed.    
   My daughter Iris has what you could call a book problem. If left to her own devices she will just sit and thumb through her books. She has piles of books in her bed. When she is not reading she is trying to draw and write. She is obsessed with letters and all things bookish. She does have this major personality flaw though, She is very conceited. If you ask her anything about how cute she is or how smart she say "I know." I'd hate to think I'm raising a self absorbed bitch.
   Cooper on the other hand is all numbers he like to count every thing like the Count from Sesame St. it's crazy the boy is four and he's running around counting and he has already figured out how to do simple addition, to see his face light up when we tell him he got it right startles me. I have no great love for math, so where his desire comes from I don't know. What I do know is that I will continue to encourage it. Now Cooper is super controlling of the other two. It's not that he's a bully he is more of the emotional blackmailer of the three. Out of all three children he is the most likely to think crying will get his way.
   Bobby is my boys boy. He likes all things that go vroom. He wants speed and he wants it now. It's the oddest thing but the boy came out of the womb just loving cars. I have never experienced anything like it. And it's constant through his life. You ask him what he likes when he's one he points at cars. You ask him hat he likes now he will tell you about different cars to the point of nausea. Bobby is also the gross motor skills kid of the bunch not so much fine motor skills more kickball less etch a sketch. He also tends to muscle his siblings around though he is totally non aggressive with other children, only getting physical with his brother and sister.
  All three children are so different in temperament and likes it's very strange. It gives one a very different perspective on the whole nature versus nurture argument. I have learned you can't teach nature but you can teach consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment