Monday, September 23, 2013

Hand holding, the art of public travel.

We as a family hold hands a lot. Especially when it's just me and the trips. Every time we go some place public and need to cross a road I make the kids hold hands. Normally it's a kid in either and while the third will hold one of the other's hand. We do this for safety of course. Anytime we go through a parking lot or when we get into large crowds it's just the easiest thing to do and has become second nature for the kids now. I can't imagine what other people think when they see us with me in the lead and the trips all lined up behind me all holding hands, we must make quite the procession.
  On the other hand when the kids and I go shopping I couldn't get anything done if I had the kids in hand every step of the way so we have some rules. They have freedom of movement as long as the never leave my sight. The second they leave my sight I track them down and put them in the cart. This is the way it's been since they could walk safely on their own, and so far it's been working like a charm.
 I have the constant fears of a kid disappearing like any parent. As such there is a portion of my brain that just counts heads on a pretty much constant basis. I do head sweeps with out thought every couple of seconds it is just second nature to me. This becomes difficult while out with other family members. I trust everyone in my family with my kids, If I didn't I would let them near the kids, that said, when the whole family goes to a large public venue like the Zoo or State Fair I have to constantly keep in mind that someone else is there to watch them. It's not easy. I appear standoffish at times because if they decide to take a child off to do something and not tell me I go into count and freak out mode and can little focus on anything else till the count is complete. I must see each child before I can relax. So when this happens I go a little crazy. The easiest thing for me to do is accept the fact that all three kids are being watched and go off and do something or I fear I will micromanage the hell out of my family. When I'm done I come back and run all over hell and high water until I get that head count.
 I'm not sure if this is normal for other parents. But I live in a world of fear when it comes to my children. Those of you that know me know that I confront fear and if something scares me I run headlong into it. When my children are involved I am the most fearful, nervous, and paranoid parent that I have ever met. Though if you asked my kids they would have no idea.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment